注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

查看: 2821|回复: 6

【原创】Public Speaking

[复制链接]
发表于 2005-2-12 00:44:34 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
==============已奖励 30 Lxb BY Soda(鼓励原创哈~)==========

This is the essay I wrote for the public speaking competition last year.
I think it's quite well-written even if I wrote it at 3 in the morning.  Share it with you guys, please give some comments as well.

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen.  Before I begin, let me ask you guys a question.  Are you good at playing chess?  What is your strategy of winning?

I am going to talk about three words tonight. “Go, Grow and Goal”.  These three words indicate how we should achieve our goals, and more importantly, tell us the way of our living.  Why?  First, these three words actually mean three steps - steps of achieving goals.  The first word “Go” means taking action and having determination.  The second one, “Grow” means improvement.  The last one is “Goal”, which simply means your goals.  If one can manage these three steps well, one can be successful in achieving goals.  As the famous Cecil De Mille said, “The person who makes a success of living is the one who sees his goal steadily and aims for it unswervingly.” Go, Grow, Goal is the essence of living.

When you play chess, what will you do first?  Think your first step, of course, but what then?  You may realize that people seldom think for a long time for their first step, they usually move their chess first, and then wait for their opponents’ move.  This is the same when you achieve a goal.  The problem people often make when they achieve a goal is, they hesitate too much before they start.  What will be the circumstances?  What if I do it wrong?  After asking so many questions, you may finally realize that you haven’t moved a step forward, yet.  Go.  Just go.  Take action.  Don’t just stand on the ground.  If we don’t try first, we will never know what our problems are.  Thoughts without actions are useless.  To take action and have determination at the first place, enable us to see our goal clearly so that we can aim for it afterwards.

But, we will certainly make a lot of errors if we just swallow hard and go for it.  Sometimes, we face our failure.  Don’t give up.  Nobody knows how to walk right after birth.  We can stop for a while, rethink and analyze what we have done, and seek for improvement.  Never think what you have done are useless, no matter what, you gain experience.  If you fail to swim for 10 meters, at least you gain some experience by putting your head into the water.  Analysis, experience and improvement are what “Grow” means.  

After improving and equipping yourself, you aim for your goal again.  We can see that Go and Grow is a loop.  We take action and go for the goal; then we may fail; we gain experience and improve; then we go again.  That’s the progress of achieving goal.  Yes, the progress to achieve goal may be tough and energy consuming, but still, it is worth taking if we can achieve our fruitful goal.  Take Alfred Nobel for an example.  He spent his whole life to examine explosives.  He failed a lot, including the bankruptcy of his company and his brother’s death due to explosive accident, but he didn’t give up and continued his experiments.  At last, he discovered dynamite and became a wealthy man.  Yes, this is a loop.  But it is not an endless one.

After looping for a couple of times, finally you have your goal.  Pat yourself on the back, be relaxed and congratulate yourself.  You deserve it.  It is very important to take a break after being tense for all those loops.  Enjoying your goal is the final step of achieving goal.
We won’t have only one single goal in our life.  So after congratulating ourselves, we have to be prepared for another goal.  This is the way of living – to achieve different kinds of goals: to learn how to swim, to have good results in your school, or to have a good job.  
Of course, there are ways to make this progress more enjoyable.  One way is to set a lower goal.  If we set an almost unreachable goal, we will be frustrated and our confidence will be broken.  We aren’t perfect.  Don’t tell yourself to get 100 marks in all your tests, 80 marks is okay.  Another way is to enjoy your life and enjoy the progress of achieving goal.  Don’t rush for it purposelessly, let life progress at its own pace.

That’s all for tonight.  Achieve your goal, and enjoy your life.

[ Last edited by Soda on 2005-6-18 at 17:46 ]
发表于 2005-3-6 15:32:54 | 显示全部楼层
nice article dude!...the words"go,grow and goal" simply sounds nice to me!
发表于 2005-3-6 21:44:52 | 显示全部楼层
Sorry, I don't like the word 'guys' , although it may show your close relationship with the audience, that's too colloquial.
 楼主| 发表于 2005-3-9 01:14:33 | 显示全部楼层
Let me explain something.  This speech is supposed to be held in an assembly full of students.
So...the word "guys" might be okay.

[ Last edited by lkf_calvin on 2005-3-9 at 01:18 ]
发表于 2005-4-22 12:18:37 | 显示全部楼层
寫的很不錯啊 內容也很實在 言之有物 不錯不錯
发表于 2005-6-18 17:48:10 | 显示全部楼层
鼓励原创~~~哎呀呀~~奖励去。。
发表于 2005-6-19 12:07:02 | 显示全部楼层
IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU,
I DON'T WANT NOBODY BABY,
IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU NO OH OH NO OH(OH)
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

手机版|小黑屋|Archiver|流星街

GMT+8, 2024-4-30 01:35 , Processed in 0.034238 second(s), 10 queries , Gzip On, eAccelerator On.